I'm up on a Sunday afternoon with only three hours of sleep last night because Brandon doesn't want to nap. Not sure why because he is a little sleep deprived too. Either way it's a good time to think so I thought I'd throw some thoughts into print for others.
Our family is adjusting to getting bigger. I was thinking about that this afternoon and I think I've decided having a second child is more difficult of an adjustment than having the first. Either there were fewer difficulties to adjust to or parental memory loss blocked out the hardest parts from when we were adjusting to having Brandon. For some reason I had figured it got easier with each new child because of experience. I guess not for now, but I can see it being very helpful later on when your kids get old enough to help out. Either way I wouldn't trade our sons for the world. It's very wonderful to be a parent. I suspect we have many great adventures coming as Kyler gets old enough to play with Brandon. I can see them now having a blast together in about a year from now.
It's been interesting to see Brandon becoming more social than he has been for the last while. He would pretty much just hide from anybody he didn't know. I'm suspecting time at nursery and extra time with his cousins here in Rexburg have taught him a little bit about how to play with others. Today at the end of sacrament meeting he was playing a game of peek-a-boo with a boy a little older than him on the bench behind us. I've never seen him do that with somebody he doesn't know. When we go to family gatherings here he loves to run around with his cousins as they play various games. He chases the crowd instead of hiding from them. He still isn't able to participate much as about his most complex game he plays now is making towers out of Legos but he seems to enjoy the company of other people. It could be preparation for when his brother is older. At church he won't hesitate to run off and explore the building. He'll go up to strangers and ask to borrow things to play with. Twice today I had to go around asking the crowd of church goers if they knew who owned the toy Brandon was playing with. But he's very good a giving the things back and even saying thank you in sign language when he returns them.
Brandon has also been enjoying the field of hydrodynamics lately. When he takes a bath he seems to study how the water reacts when you do various things with it. Scooping it up in containers then dumping it into others. Splashing and watching how things look different underwater. He's discovered how straws work recently and almost always insists on having one when he gets a drink. He likes to poor his drink between containers then taste it again to see if the flavor changes. His favorite drink is apple juice with water in second place. It gets a little risky because we'll give him a cup and straw to drink from in his chair and he'll start experimenting, starting minor with things like blowing bubbles or tapping the cup and watching the ripples. Unfortunately the experiments almost always get out of hand and he ends up wet and mad. It's fascinating how much he tries to avoid spilling for a two year old but his efforts are usually in vain and he'll gets carried away and too excited to remember cold water isn't fun when it soaks your cloths.
Kyler is still pretty much an angel baby. He's so calm and easy to take care of during the day. He naps in his car seat or wherever we put him so we can have some time to get things done when he sleeps. He really doesn't get mad about anything except... during the night. :) It's like he holds in anything that bugs him during the day until he's full then from about 11:00 pm to 2:00 am he vents his frustrations all at once. Either that or he's already fighting sleep. It makes it hard to get a half decent night sleep when he's insisting on being awake in the middle of the night but he still wonderful to take care of the rest of the day so I really feel we don't have much to complain about.
Kyler is to the point where he prefers to be free to work his arms and legs instead of being swaddled in a blanket. He likes to make lots of various baby noises and will often just lay on the floor and work at figuring his body out. He seems to be a very determined little boy.
I love our sons very much. It's so wonderful to be charged with caring for them though sometimes I'm amazed that God trusts us with kids. I sure feel like I don't know what I'm doing but we are doing our best for them which I know is all Heavenly Father asks of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment